I am not sure if it should like this:

<map:when test= "region = 'OH'  or province ='XYZ' ">

Here is some code I used and works without problem:

 <xsl:if test = "(substring-after(@name,'.') = 'xsp' or
substring-after(@name, '.') = 'xml'
                    or substring-after(@name,'.') = 'xsl' or
substring-after(@name, '.') = 'xmap')">
        <li><input type = "checkbox" name = "filesname" value = "{$fullpath}" >
                <xsl:value-of select="@name"/>
        </input></li>
      </xsl:if>         >

Good luck.