I seem to have got a bit further with this issue. I think it's a Xalan problem so I configured Cocoon to use Saxon instead which gives me a bit more error detail during the transformation:

INFO    (2005-08-04) 18:50.52:052   [sitemap] (/kde/showsyscontainer) PoolThread-4/BDBXMLTransformer: >>> Transformer Initialised
INFO    (2005-08-04) 18:50.52:130   [sitemap] (/kde/showsyscontainer) PoolThread-4/HandleErrorsNode: Processing handle-errors at
file:/C:/cocoon-2.1.7/build/webapp/kde/sitemap.xmap:85:23
WARN    (2005-08-04) 18:50.52:318   [sitemap.serializer.html] (/kde/showsyscontainer) PoolThread-4/AbstractTextSerializer: Cannot know if transformer needs namespaces attributes - assuming NO.
org.xml.sax.SAXException: Saxon requires an XML parser that reports the QName of each element

The code that generates the XML that is passed to the saxon XSLT transformer is:

private void generateDocumentToSAX(String queryResults)
  {
    SAXParser parser = null;
    try
    {
      parser = (SAXParser)this.manager.lookup(SAXParser.ROLE);
      InputSource inputSource = new InputSource(new StringReader(queryResults));
      parser.parse(inputSource, super.xmlConsumer);
    }
    catch(Exception e)
    {
      m_resultMessage = "Unable to get parser: " + e.toString();
      this.getLogger().error(m_resultMessage);
    }
    finally
    {
      if (parser != null) this.manager.release(parser);
    }
  }

Do I need to inform the parser in the code to do something to stop this error below? WHat is the QName?

'Cannot know if transformer needs namespaces attributes - assuming NO.
org.xml.sax.SAXException: Saxon requires an XML parser that reports the QName of each element'

Thanks,
Ant