On 01.09.2005 02:49, Jon Merriman wrote:

I have been sitting on this code for some time now and I would like to get some feedback on it. In a nutshell, it allows servlets to be invoked using the container's RequestDispatcher method and the result parsed as SAX events. My motivation was to create a quick-and-dirty way to Spring and JSP Documents with Cocoon.

Cocoon has an implementation of JSPEngine (used in JSPGenerator and JSPReader) based on RequestDispatcher. Can you tell how it integrates with your solution? Maybe you just need to improve the existing one.

The existing JSPEngine implementations either instantiate a specified servlet class directly, or invoke servlets via a RequestDispatcher obtained with the servlet's name. Both of those implementations allow only a single servlet to be configured in a Cocoon application. My implementation uses ServletContext's getRequesetDispatcher method with a path specified as a parameter to the generator or transformer. Multiple servlets can be invoked.

I do realize that my solution could be implemented on top of JSPEngine, and I might just do that if there is interest.

Yes, JSPEngine seems to be the way to go. And as your solution seems to be much more featured I would be really interested in moving it into Cocoon's codebase. Therefore the best would be to open an issue in bugzilla and to attach the patch there.

Thanks in advance,

Joerg