It should be easier if you think in Cocoon as framework that implements the "pyramid model of web contracts" as stated in Cocoon developer's Handbook by Lazlo Moczar and also on http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/introduction.html The idea of confining cocoon with a 3/4-tier architecture is probably not very accurate since the idea behind the MVC model is to break the chains of the n-tier architectures. The more tiers you add, the more difficult it will be to precisely define what is the role of each tier.
Check this article :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/crystlmn/HTML/crconreportdeploymentscenarios.asp
for an idea about a 3 tier application based on crystal reports. Based on this i would say that
http://cocoondev.org/xreporter/docs.html
is a 3- tier application.

Greets,
CarlosN.