christian b wrote:
[...]
these are the feed-adresses that I want to incorporate. both don't
have an encoding set (do RSS-feeds have to have that?) but they
clearly contain UTF-8 encoded characters.

http://www.industrial-technology-and-witchcraft.de/index.php/ITW/itw-rss20/
http://www.netzpolitik.org/feed/

Hi Christian,
Have a look at the HTTP response headers[1] of those feeds. The "netzpolitik" feed's header clearly states it's iso-8859-1.

Recoding will be automagically done on generating xml from that source. When you try with the following snippet in your pipeline, your output will have a parsing error[2] but its source code will be strictly according to encoding settings of your serializer

  <map:match pattern="netzpolitik">
    <map:generate src="http://www.netzpolitik.org/feed"/>
    <map:serialize/>
  </map:match>

In case of <http://www.netzpolitik.org/feed/> you go in with iso-8859-1 and come out with utf-8 (if you didn't change the settings of your xml-serializer).

You will also have to make sure that character encoding of your output

     <encoding>UTF-8</encoding>

is in accordance with encoding information sent with e.g.

     mime-type="application/xhtml+xml; charset=utf-8"

by your serializer in HTTP response header. The following is an example xhtml serializer config having both these informations.

  <map:serializer name="xhtml"
        mime-type="application/xhtml+xml; charset=utf-8"
        logger="sitemap.serializer.xhtml"
        pool-grow="2" pool-max="64" pool-min="2"
        src="org.apache.cocoon.components.serializers.XHTMLSerializer">
    <encoding>UTF-8</encoding>
    <indent>no</indent>
  </map:serializer>

What generator have you been using for your works. Maybe I didn't fully understand your problem ...

[1]<http://livehttpheaders.mozdev.org/> for Firefox/Mozilla users

[2]  XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
     Location: http://bodo:8080/netzpolitik
     Line Number 27, Column 17: