Duncan McLean wrote:
So can anyone take my other question - can someone explain the uses of data binding in forms (java bean or xml) citing some examples of where it might be useful? (I guess I am interested in what gains it could give us in our situation)

I'll take a stab at it briefly...

The CForms binding framework is simply a way to map values back and forth between the form model (essentially a tree structure of widgets) and a "business object". For instance, your business processing layer probably already defines JavaBeans for transferring data around, but the CForms form object has a different structure. So once a user fills in the form object with their values, somehow those values need to get mapped onto the JavaBean. A binding allows you to define the rules for how those two specialized objects' contents can be synced up. You could of course do it manually by copying the values over one-by-one in your Java/JS code, but the binding framework lets you define the mapping declaratively in an XML format, which can be more convenient.

Hope that's a good start.
--Jason