I have a Cocoon webapp that is nothing more than a way of presenting XML-based documentation based on an arbitrary DTD. I use Cocoon instead of another way of building the HTML output because it works better than any other method I have tried.

The important thing is the DTD. It is required as a way of organizing the content, which is quite complex and which my client requires. This means we have developed XSL specifically for this content.

All is good so far.

However, a need has arisen to generate static Web sites for this content for delivery via a Web server; i.e., not Tomcat or other servlet container.

Forrest looks like a good bet, and I have gotten the Forrest documentation and demo site to work. Diving into the documentation to determine how to migrate this particular project has proven a bit confusing. I think the section "Customizing Your Content" was written for a somewhat different scenario than the one I have in mind.

I have also read that the Cocoon CLI is another option, but have not really "grokked" that one as yet.

So, if anyone on the list has done something similar and has any tips on the best way to proceed, I would appreciate it. The directory structure of the existing webapp is way simple, as follows:

|-- myproject