> Hi there,
>
> I've been trying to increase the performance of my cocoon
> deployment and the profiler has shown me that the pipeline
> seems quite fast but the over all time is much slower than
> the time in each of the components in the pipe. When I was
> playing with a different bit of the site I noticed that it
> was much faster and was wondering if it might have been
> something to do with the size of the sitemap in both cases.
> One of the main areas of my site has a very large sitemap
> (about 1500 lines, 22 pipelines and  80 matchers). Would this
> results in a noticeable performance it? If not can you think
> of anything the profiler might not include in its timings?

I never noticed a correlation between a large sitemap and performance (though
sitemaps of 1500 lines I do not like very much, but that is something else :-) )

Anyway, it is not strange that some parts are faster then others. It just
depends on what a specific part does. Does it get an xml file from repository
via http or webdav or whatever, is it a large file, are there complex xsl's
(complex for a computer, like counting all nodes in an xml all the time, or
going to parent ancestor next sibbling the previous and the back to the root..)

Anyway, I don't use profilers to find my slow pieces. I do it from a 10.000
kilometers above view. In my opinion this works best. I record a page request
with solex (eclipse plugin) and count the time it takes to get the file again
(after a clear cache or before, just what you want to measuer). Then, I start
commenting sitemap parts. Within 30 sec you will find any performance flaw,
guaranteed.

Then, I don't know what you consider slow. Are you talking about slow the first
time, slow when cached? Slow = 2 sec or 200 ms?

Regards Ard