"implement a toolbar as an <ul> and each button
as an <li>."

Not sure who originally thought up this idea; but I came
across it in "HTML Utopia: Designing without Tables using
CSS" - which is a book I can recommend if you are looking
for step-by-step examples of webpage design/layout with
CSS.

Geert Josten [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > In my opinion you are underestimating the usefulness of the
> > semantics associated with these structural HTML elements, and
> > are throwing away *too
> > much* information in the pipeline.  Surely there's no
> > advantage to throwing away that information, is there?
>
> Just to add my 2 cents.. ;-)
>
> By using headings, paragraphs, etc, instead of div and span for
> everything, you give search engines the opportunity to
> distinguish them
> and give more importance to headings over paragraph text.

That, and it's more readable without CSS, and with older or
non-graphical browsers (like lynx). A great idea I recently
came across was to implement a toolbar as an <ul> and each button
as an <li>. Makes sense, becuase it's basically a list of similar
items. The only difference is in presentation, and that's what
CSS is for. Unfortunately the designs I get don't always work
this way.

mcv.

views of the CSIR.

CSIR E-mail Legal Notice