It can happen that the web browser either does not support UTF-8 for
Ajax calls, or that you have not set the Ajax call to accept UTF-8 (In
Firefox, for instance, I have not been able to set the actual encoding
for Ajax calls, although it might be possible) (Note that setting the
actual encoding is different from using an encoding description
request header.)

The easiest way, if you want a fix, is to use an encode-uri function
on the server and in the ajax javascript, then the transfer encoding
will not matter.

Regards
Hans