Lars has right, you have missed the semicolon, and if it's the full
source code, you will need at least an <esql:connection> tag surround
<esql:execute-query>

<esql:connection>
 <esql:pool>pool_name</esql:pool>
 <!-- We are yousing pools, which are defined in the cocoon.xconf-->
 <esql:execute-query>
 </esql:execute-query>
</esql:connection>

Zsombor