Is it Coccon that produces these log4j warnings? I think they come from
servlet container (Tomcat). Thus the log4j config file should be in the
classpath of servlet container.

The WEB-INF/log4j.xconf config file configures the cocoon logging. You have
to add appenders and categories to it in order to get various logfiles. You
should simply transfer the logkit.xconf content to log4j syntax.

Regards, Kai