Hello everybody,

I am trying to use the ESQL functionality of Cocoon as a replacement for Oracle's XSQL servlet.

What I am trying to do is more or less have simple select queries automatically converted to XML.

For example:

In Oracle's XSQL the followinng XML file:

<xsql:query xmlns:xsql="urn:oracle-xsql"
            connection="test"
            tag-case="lower"
            max-rows="-1"
            null-indicator="no"
            row-element="language"
            rowset-element="languages">
      SELECT ID,
             DESCRIPTION,
             COUNTRY_ID
        FROM LANGUAGE_TYPE
    ORDER BY ID
</xsql:query>

would generate the following XML:

<languages>
  <language num="1">
    <id>1</id>
    <description>English</description>
    <country_id>111</country_id>
  </language>
  <language num="2">
    <id>4</id>
    <description>Japanese</description>
    <country_id>222</country_id>
  </language>
  <language num="3">
    <id>5</id>
    <description>Traditional Chinese</description>
    <country_id>333</country_id>
  </language>
</languages>

Is there an easy way to achieve something reasonably similar (and simple) with ESQL? Generating XML data with a simple SQL query?

I have read the documentation and I am trying the examples but Cocoon architecture is turning out to be really hard for me to grasp.

Kind regards:
al_shopov