On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 23:39 +0000, Mr I Forrester wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was reading up on Comet [1] and wondered if Apache Cocoon would have
> the ability to do Comet method - *Comet* is a programming technique that
> enables web servers to send data to the client without having any need
> for the client to request it. It allows creation of event-driven
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event-driven> web applications
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_applications> which are hosted in the
> browser.
>
> I have a few ideas which could use the method if it was possible, but I
> would like to use the Cocoon framework to make them happen.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Regards,
>
> Ian Forrester | Cubicgarden.com
>
> [1] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COMET_(programming)

I couldn't find any technical details browsing around the references on
Wikipedia but I suppose it Comet wants to exploit the same HTTP trick as
mod_pubsub (chunked encoding?) to keep the connection open permanently.

I see two problems using that for web applications across the Internet.
One is that it does not work as soon as there is a store-and-forward
proxy between server and browser, and you'll have to revert to
pull-mode.  Second, every user blocks one of more connections, and your
infrastructure must have the resources to support that many sockets /
threads / process.

If you want to use it in a Cocoon serializer / reader you'll first have
to sort out how to disable the output buffering done by Cocoon and the
servlet container at various levels.

Cheers, Alfred.