Thanks!

So something like this (did I get the SaxBuffer stuff right?):

public class Mytrans extends AbstractTransformer implements
                CacheableProcessingComponent {

    XMLConsumer tempConsumer;
    SaxBuffer mySaxConsumer = new SaxBuffer();
    String content;

    public void setup(SourceResolver resolver, Map objectModel, String src,
                        Parameters params) throws ProcessingException,
SAXException,
                        IOException {

        tempConsumer = xmlConsumer;
        xmlConsumer = mySaxConsumer;

   }

        public void endDocument() throws SAXException {

                super.endDocument();
                content = mySaxConsumer.toString();
                xmlConsumer = tempConsumer;

                content = myTransform(content);

                StringXMLizable xmlStr = new StringXMLizable(content);

                xmlStr.toSAX(contentHandler);

        }

 }