Hi Florian,

Thanks, sorry, I read your posting only after I sent in my own... after some hassle I've been able to install Java 5 on ubuntu (somehow it wasn't included in my update-server packages list), and I will see whether that will help solve my problems.

Do you know of any more structured information regarding the combination cocoon/jdk6 ?

Thanks again,

        Rinke

Dev at weitling wrote:
Hi Rinke,

seems like a Déjà-vus. Here the excerpt of an answer I sent yesterday to
this mailing-list:

we are fighting here with a web application on Tomcat 5.5/Debian
Sarge/Etch, too. Maybe on of these tips help:
- edit /etc/default/tomcat -> uncomment the line with TOMCATx_SECURITY
and set it to "no"
- switch to tomcat 5.5
- switch to Debian Etch
- in the latter first try installing tomcat5.5 (apt-get install
tomcat5.5), on errors install JDK 5 (sun-java5-jdk)

Perhaps one tip helps,
Florian

Rinke Hoekstra wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to set-up a cocooon installation on Dapper/Tomcat5/JDK1.6,
but I don't seem to be able to get it to work at all.

I first downloaded the 2.1.10 distro, which wouldn't compile at all
(because of enforced checks by Java 6). Although I was able to fix
these  (thanks to google), and cocoon ended up compiling just fine,
the webapp does not work.

The first and foremost problem is that its initialization crashes
because of all kinds of security violations. Once I alleviate these
(by allowing read access to these system properties), cocoon wants to
read system.properties from /usr/share/tomcat5/.cocoon/system.properties

That's rather odd, now isn't it. Ok, I get one step further if I just
add this file (empty) and allow the tomcat5 user to read it.

Unfortunately, the system still won't start, this time with a
class-not found error (see below for a stack-trace).

So I grabbed the latest development snapshot from the svn server, and
compiled it. This works fine, but I get another error: