Try to start eXist during application startup by declaring the
DatabaseAdminServlet in web.xml and starting in before Cocoon servlet, e.g.:

<servlet>
    <servlet-name>DatabaseAdminServlet</servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>org.exist.http.servlets.DatabaseAdminServlet</servlet-cla
ss>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>configuration</param-name>
      <param-value>conf.xml</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>basedir</param-name>
      <param-value>WEB-INF/</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>start</param-name>
      <param-value>true</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
  </servlet>

<servlet>
    <servlet-name>Cocoon</servlet-name>
    <display-name>Cocoon</display-name>
    <description>Cocoon</description>
    <servlet-class>org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet</servlet-class>
        <load-on-startup>2</load-on-startup>
</servlet>

HTH, Kai