Hi,

It was a rather short and quick answer, but yes, depending on the
component that extracts the files and writes them, it is in principle
possible to extract all types of files. SourceWriting component however
uses XML/DOM as intermediate, so that component is unuseable as it is.
(At least how it was around versions 2.1.4 - 2.1.6..)

The SaveFiles transformer however is exactly written for this task. It
doesn't cache anything, it redirect an inputstream to an outputstream
internally and is therefore capable of handling binary. Only the outcome
(fail or success) is passed to cocoon as xml. More about it on wiki:
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/SaveFilesTransformer

My zipsource produces on long xml with the full contents. One xsl pass
converts this to savefiles instruction sheet, just a long list of
save:file elements with a src and a target attribute. These can be
processed in a single pass with the transformer. The end result of this
transform can be used to produce a fail/success report.

One final note on Cocoon Actions, the alternative on which Joerg
Heinicke responded:
be aware of the moment on which actions are executed. Regardless of
where they are called within a request-chain, they are always executed
_before_ the actual processing in a pipeline. This is only important if
you intend to process the files with the same request that also extracts
the files. It might be very useful, but can be a bottle-neck just as
easily.

Kind regards,
Geert