I realise my postings can sound a pompous so I reckon Ard was just saying
"Different Horses for Different Courses" but using Hippo's and the Dutch
Masters as a surreal juxtaposition

On 25/06/07, Derek Hohls <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 Maybe its because I am not Dutch.... but I really
do not get this story -  anyone care to explain?

>>> "Ard Schrijvers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 2007/06/25 12:27 PM >>>
Claude: "Is like the story of the hippo."
Reuben: "I'm not familiar with that story."
Claude: "The hippopotamus, he is not born going, 'Cool bean, I am a
hippo.' No way, Jose. So he tried to paint the stripe on himself to be like
the, uh, the zebra, bet he fool no one. And then he tried to put the spot on
his skin to be like the leopard, but everyone know he is a hippo. SO at
certain pont, he look himself in the mirror, an he just say, 'Hey, I am a
hippopotamus, and there is nothing I can do about it.' And as soon as he
accepts this, he live life happy. Happy as a hippo. You understand?"
Reuben: "I'm gonna kill you!"
Lisa: "Reuben! No, Reuben!"

As long as everybody is happy :-)

ps movie "Along came polly"

Hi Ard,

I understand your comic sarcasm and I think I know where you are coming
from ;-) In the final analysis, it seems to depend on where you place the
centre of gravity of your application at the o! utset. If you start building
an Object based system and then add persistence you are probably always
going to have to write business logic in Java and use an OR framework to map
this onto a a relational DB. However, most Enterprise systems start with an
ER Model . Various hybrid systems grow around the central DB so it makes
sense to gravitate toward the Enterprise DB for all sorts of engineering and
political reasons. One size does not fit all and in the world of CMS I can
imagine that your approach works for you and your customers. I was just
trying to advise those (possibly the majority0 of Cocoon developers who are
trying to develop relatively small internal Web-applications that work with
Enterprise data. For that kind of thing I endorse the SQLTransformer, JDBI,
FlowScript approach.

Regards

On 25/06/07, Ard Schrijvers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello,

>This leads to start writing
> code before
> > the problem is! fully understood and a reluctance to
> refactor once it
> > is. These are the very tendencies that Cocoon allows us to overcome
> > because it is entirely possible to develop fully fledged
> applications
> > without writing any Java code. These 'pure' XML applications are
> > likely to be much more maintainable, flexible and capable of re-use
> > than those that skew their centre of gravity back towards Java.

I can hardly believe everybody seems to take this statement for granted
(jdo and jcr APIs are ofcourse totally redundant since you can write your
own fine sql statements, and of course, sql is a brilliant strong
specification, so when you have it running for oracle, you can switch
automatically without effort  to mysql, derby, hsqldb, sql server)...anyway,
if everybody wants to write sql, do many xsl transformations and take the
burden of maintaining sql statements, be my guest :-)

Regards Ard

e-mail legal notice.
Views expressed herein do not necessarily represent the views of the CSIR.

*CSIR E-mail Legal Notice*<http://mail.csir.co.za/CSIR_eMail_Legal_Notice.html>

*CSIR Copyright, Terms and
Conditions*<http://mail.csir.co.za/CSIR_Copyright.html>

For electronic copies of the CSIR Copyright, Terms and Conditions and the
CSIR Legal Notice
send a blank message with "REQUEST LEGAL" in the subject line to CSIR
CallCentre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by *
MailScanner* <http://www.mailscanner.info/>,
and is believed to be clean.