Vaduvoiu Tiberiu pisze:
my serializer:

<map:serializers default="xml">
      <map:serializer name="xhtml" logger="sitemap.serializer.xml"
        mime-type="text/html"
src="org.apache.cocoon.serialization.XMLSerializer">
<omit-xml-declaration>yes</omit-xml-declaration> <doctype-public>-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN</doctype-public>
         <encoding>UTF-8</encoding>
         http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd
        <indent>no</indent>
      </map:serializer>

this my serializer..so I have the encoding set to utf-8...but still, my xml starts with <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>
however, I have noticed that in firefox if I right click on the page and click "view
page info" it says: encoding - utf-8. it's very wierd

You have option to omit xml declaration enabled so it's wierd that your xml even starts with <?xml ... ?>. I guess that something in between adds the declaration anyway and uses default (non-matching) encoding.

I don't know what is wrong exactly but I suggest to look at different issue.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski