Are you using the SendMailTransformer? If you use it like

<!-- Pipeline for sendemail.xml -->
     <map:match pattern="sendemail">
         <map:generate src="sendemail.xml"/>
         <map:transform type="sendmail"/>
         <map:serialize type="xml"/>
     </map:match>

you can just make a normal email in sendemail.xml (which can of course be a
cocoon pipeline in turn). An email might look like the example at [1]

Regards Ard

[1] http://www.codeconsult.ch/bertrand/archives/000571.html