Hi Antonio, Christoph

I'm using Cocoon 2.1.9 on Tomcat 5.5.23 with Sun's Java 1.5.0_11-b03 on Linux 2.6.18-4-amd64 (not sure which distro: it's at my provider's site).

Christoph's suggestions tally with things I've discovered on the net in the last couple of hours. I'll run them past my provider.

Another possibility seems to be JDBC: if the jar file is under WEB- INF/lib the garbage collector cannot release resources held by the database. Guess where my postgresql.jar is...

Part of my problem is that I develop under Mac OS X and just restart Tomcat when things go wrong in my development environment: deploying to a completely different platform is forcing me to be more rigorous.

Steve