You've got a real vintage piece of equipment there.  SunOS 2.7, better
known as Solaris 7, stems from the 20th century.  (The current version
is Solaris 10).

IIRC before Solaris 9 a lot of patches were recommended to install for
using Java.  Do you have all these?  Also, were the libraries built on
that old system, or maybe they come from a more recent system.

Anyway, on Solaris there is the "truss" command to trace system calls.
That often gives a good hint for where the problem lays.

HTH, Alfred.