I discovered my compilation problem was due to the presence of an older copy
of the org.apache.regexp package in my JDK's jre\lib\endorsed directory,
thus overriding the same package within the Cocoon distribution.  After I
switched to a different JDK install that did not have anything in its
endorsed directory, the Coccon build succeeded.