Thanks Grzegorz for you answer.

Several observations:

1) Latest version of Saxon is 9.0, but in Maven only available version 8.7.
Can I use whatever version I desire?
2) I place the cocoon-core-xslt-saxon.xconf in META-INF/cocoon/avalon
3) I receive this error:

javax.servlet.ServletException:
org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.ConfigurationExc
eption: Type 'saxon' does not exist for 'map:transform' at
file:///C:/develop/cocoon/crawl
er/./src/main/resources/COB-INF/sitemap.xmap:18:62
        at
org.apache.cocoon.servlet.RequestProcessor.service(RequestProcessor.java:232)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.SitemapServlet.service(SitemapServlet.java:64)

So, there isn't any valid transformer of type=saxon