no, i have no chance to set request encoding to the same as datafile
encoding.

situation:
i have to transform a xml-datafile (max file size about 20MB) to a pdf
or a excel document.
the customer want to have a simple html form to upload the xml file and
to set the mandatory informations like language and output format. the
xml file can be encoded in utf-8 or iso-8859-1.

so i have:
- html form (multipart/form-data) with following params:
  - file -> xml-datafile
  - output -> serialise excel or pdf
  - locale -> language of serialised doc

- pipe:
  - StreamGenerator (encoding problem)
    or FileGenerator (filesize problem)
  - transformer to fop (pdf) or gmr (excel)
  - transformer i18n for multilanguage
  - serialiser to pdf or excel

my trial:
my own implementation of StreamGenerator (just a copy of the cocoon
one ;). in my implementation i have set encoding fixed to "ISO-8859-1".

result: in this trial also, just files which are utf-8 encoded were be
shown correct.

any ideas to this..?

i don't no exactly, what you mean with the reader thing you wrote...

thanks a lot
steff