Yes, after all the help I got I was thinking of writing a short tutorial
about integrating eXist in Cocoon 2.2 as a block and how to make use of
XQueryServlet with servletService to query the database.

eXist requires some files conf.xml (specific to eXist and not part of
web.xml),... and an empty folder Data to be added to the web-inf directory
of the block.
For now I'm doing it by hand which is not convenient. I would like to find a
better solution before sharing.

Regards,

Josh