Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
On Apr 3, 2008, at 12:30 PM, Alec Bickerton wrote:
[snip]
I can't be more specific because this ONLY occurs when tomcat is started without a debugger. If I attach the debugger, it seem that the RequestWrapper initialises correctly and the parameter is found.
[snip]

Did you check tomcat's source code for the version you are running? I'm curious what is at this line

java.lang.NullPointerException    at
org.apache.catalina.connector.Request.parseParameters(Request.java:2426)    at
org.apache.catalina.connector.Request.getParameter(Request.java:1040) at
org.apache.catalina.connector.RequestFacade.getParameter(RequestFacade.java:355)
 at
org.apache.cocoon.environment.http.HttpRequest.getParameter(HttpRequest.java:316)
 at
org.apache.cocoon.environment.wrapper.RequestWrapper.getParameter(RequestWrapper.java:123)
at
org.apache.cocoon.environment.wrapper.RequestWrapper.getParameter(RequestWrapper.java:123)
at
org.apache.cocoon.environment.wrapper.RequestWrapper.getParameter(RequestWrapper.java:123)
at
org.apache.cocoon.environment.wrapper.RequestWrapper.getParameter(RequestWrapper.java:123)
at
org.apache.cocoon.environment.wrapper.RequestWrapper.getParameter(RequestWrapper.java:123)
at
org.apache.cocoon.environment.wrapper.RequestWrapper.getParameter(RequestWrapper.java:123)
at
org.apache.cocoon.environment.wrapper.RequestWrapper.getParameter(RequestWrapper.java:123)
at
ch.minick.portal.cocoon.environment.HttpServletRequestAdapter.getParameter(HttpServletRequestAdapter.java:160)
 catalina.connector.Request.parseParameters(Request.java:2426)

Without knowing code at that line, I can only guess that there is something wrong with incoming request and tomcat fails to parse it...
I hadn't so I did a little bit of digging through the Tomcat 6.0.14 source over the evening. It gets more interesting as the code at org.apache.catalina.connector.Request.parseParameters(Request.java:2426)
is shown below.

if (!getMethod().equalsIgnoreCase("POST"))
        return;

for completeness...

    /**
     * Return the HTTP request method used in this Request.
     */
    public String getMethod() {
        return coyoteRequest.method().toString();
    }

... Coyote.Request

    public MessageBytes method() {
return methodMB; <-- This value is initialised in the class declaration.
    }

    public MessageBytes requestURI() {
return uriMB;<-- This value is initialised in the class declaration.
    }

    public String toString() {
        return "R( " + requestURI().toString() + ")";
    }

Unless I'm being a bit thick, it doesn't explain why the getMethod() appears to sometimes return null.

The Java version being used is java version "1.6.0_05" server

One for the tomcat mailing list I think.

Alec