Hi Jeroen!

> Well following the tomcat documentation:
>
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/class-loader-howto.html
>
> it says you will can provide your own xerces implementation.
>
> Since it's tomcat that will do the validation, I guess you will have to
> add it to the endorsed dir of your tomcat installation.
>
> Let me know if that works out for you.

Perfectly well! I've just tried this for tomcat-5.5 (xercesImpl-2.8.1.jar).
But with 6.0 there are problems!

1) if one follows
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/standards/index.html and put
xerces-...jar into $JAVA_HOME/lib/endorsed, errors keep alive! (No idea why JDK
endorsed standard is not working)

2) if one try to bypass that and create endorsed inside $CATALINA_HOME, there
are two options (wich I have not tested, since I want to go on with 5.5 <--
unless somebody gives reason why it should be 6.0 :)

2a) create a deamon startup-skrip (in case one wants tomcat as deamon) and
overwrite java.endorsed.dirs=$CATALINA_HOME/foo/bar/endorsed ( foo/bar
represents some location where endorsed libs should be placed, I guess common
location would be $CATALINA_HOME/lib/endorsed )

2b) for manual startup catalina.sh or .bat skript should be modified to reflect
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=$FOO/bar

But as mentioned before: I would prefer to put such endorsed libs inside
jdk-default location. Does anyone know, if setting $JAVA_ENDORSED_LIBS explicit
would solve (idea during writing :) or is that overwritten during JDK startup?
<-- ill try this immediately

Greetings,
Patrick