Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:

I see your arguments. In a fact, the ability of sitemap (and other resources) reloading mechanism is not bound to map:mount functionality so I don't see much a problem here.

Also, we have constructed much of a our build processes around this idea that every client will have a common set of files (sitemaps, flowscripts, XSPs, etc) and aside from some automated tweaking we do to the sitemap (for things like file locations and database pools) these files remain the same across clients.

Just out of curiosity: have you developed your own build process becuase:
a) Cocoon failed to provide flexible enough default development skeleton that you could use
or rather
b) your requirements were so specific that you would have to develop it anyway?

I ask because one of the identified weaknesses of C2.1 was poor support for real development process. There was nothing standard and flexible enough that anyone could take and only customize to her needs but still retaining base in common. One of the goals of C2.2 is to change that hence switch to Maven 2, archetypes and real blocks implementation.
Bit of both. As I may have said previously, we have a set of files (XSPs, XSLTs, sitemaps, etc) that are common to all our clients, we then overlay client specific files. The client specific files may override the base set of files (and do). I don't see the process you are talking about as facilitating this functionality. Regardless, we barely have enough time to migrate to 2.2, so I cannot imagine changing the build process as well.

The map:mount has given us a way to nicely modularise and customise our application.

I think that blocks+SSF give you even more flexibility in this regards. Actually, there are both invented exactly for achieving nice modularization of Cocoon-based applications.

In actual fact, I was leaning towards this option as it gave me something I didn't have in the past - zero Cocoon redeployments for setting up new clients.

If you tell SitemapServlet (by chaning context-path property) to look for the resources _outside_ the block JAR you are achieving fairly the same.

Previously, we would have to change mount tables and datasources to add a new clients, but thanks to Hibernate's configuration options (yes, I have finally decided to bit the bullet and use Hibernate :) ) and some mount table trickery I should be able to deploy a new client with very little overhead.

We imagined (and it's already working) that you just create new application as a new block, compile and package it into JAR. Then you just drop the JAR containing block into WEB-INF/lib, restart and you are done. Your application will get mounted/discovered without any extra steps. Since block's are meant to be mostly self-contained you can configure DataSources (as Spring beans) inside block and Cocoon (along with Spring) will pick up your configuration and will setup everything as needed.

As you see, deployment of a new application involves only dropping the JAR and restarting Servlet container. I think there is a little that could be easier, don't you think?
Actually, what you describe isn't easy in our case. I would prefer Cocoon in its own environment, but it isn't. It is with a bunch of significant applications. Deploying Cocoon with all its dependencies is going to bring down most application servers eventually. This is something I wish to mitigate.

If SSF allows me to do this (or you can suggest to me a way of fulfilling my requirements with SSF), I will happily use it, otherwise, I would actually prefer using potentially deprecated functionality.

SSF is only about mounting (if we limit ourselves to your situation of course); resource reloading is out of scope of this framework but you've been already explained how to achieve the same.

If I open browser tabs (even sometimes two windows) and I run our CForms application from both, then all sorts of weirdness ensues when I save. Changes from one window will automagically migrate to the other window, and it is just a bit of a disaster. The pervading theory right now, is this is because of Cookie based session management. Therefore, the solution is to use URL rewriting (right?).

But Form's state is bound to Flowscript continuation that is identified by has in URL already. AFAIK, continuation's ID are not put into cookies so nothing could be messed up. I fail to see any reason for the odd behavior you describe here.
I thought so too, but somehow it caused this sort of behaviour.

Can't you write your own validator?
<sigh> I guess I will have to.

Kamal, but it's damn easy to write a such! :-)
It probably is now that everything is using maven :)