<xsl:template match="fi:[EMAIL PROTECTED] and count(*) = 1 and not(fi:*)]">
   <xsl:apply-templates mode="copy-parent-id"/>
 </xsl:template>

 <xsl:template match="fi:group">
   <xsl:apply-templates/>
 </xsl:template>

 <xsl:template match="fi:group" mode="copy-parent-id">     <xsl:copy>
<xsl:attribute name="id"><xsl:value-of select="../@id"/></xsl:attribute>
     <xsl:copy-of select="@*"/>
     <xsl:apply-templates/>
   </xsl:copy>
 </xsl:template>

I changed it to this:

 <!--+
     | fi:group - has no visual representation by default
| If the fi:group contains an id and has only one child that is not in the fi: namespace, | then copy the id to the child. This is needed for ajax when grouping is just used to group
     | widgets.
     +-->
 <xsl:template match="fi:[EMAIL PROTECTED] and count(*) = 1 and not(fi:*)]">
   <xsl:apply-templates mode="copy-parent-id"/>
 </xsl:template>

 <xsl:template match="fi:group">
   <xsl:apply-templates/>
 </xsl:template>

 *<xsl:template match="*" mode="copy-parent-id"> *    <xsl:copy>
<xsl:attribute name="id"><xsl:value-of select="../@id"/></xsl:attribute>
     <xsl:copy-of select="@*"/>
     <xsl:apply-templates/>
   </xsl:copy>
 </xsl:template>

and it all works. Is my fix correct? If so, should I create a patch and/or Jira ticket?'

Yep, creating issue in JIRA is the best option. If you attach a patch, could you please provide a more detailed explanation why you need match="*" here? I'm not sure if I understand your problem correctly.

I put the patch in: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-2204,

However, as I mention in the issue, this has been registered previously, and probably one of our issues should be closed (considering the advice given above, I am thinking the other issue needs to be closed).

Now, because of the nature of the bug and the previous JIRA issue, I am not certain if I have correctly diagnosed the problem. Now the JIRA issue is up, hopefully, someone can confirm.

Returning a String is not a good idea for several reasons (e.g. API change).
You are probably right.

Have you tried:

  if (widget.value == false)
Hmmm... Thanks, that worked. Trust me to choose the most convoluted solution first :) I guess the question is this a Rhino bug? My inclination is yes, because in the browser "if (widget.value == 'false')" should work, right?
Are you sure that request for these files are coming from browser and not from a block?
Yes, because firebug tells me they are (or aren't). Actually, after I put the i18n transformer in (that is what I meant by enabling i18n), they have changed:

http://localhost/apps/ccn/cocoon-ajax-impl/resource/external/fi/manifest.js
http://localhost/apps/ccn/cocoon-ajax-impl/resource/external/fi.js
http://localhost/apps/ccn/cocoon-ajax-impl/resource/external/dojo/__package__.js

Now, as you may know, I am not following the rules regarding blocks (ie I am using mounts, see previous posts), so I am more than willing to accept responsibility for this. FYI, I cannot see any discernable functional issue with them not being there.

Also, I know we have an ongoing issue with tabs and validation errors not working. I was wondering about the rationale for not using bu:replace on the appropriate divs to fix these issues?

Can you elaborate here?
In non-ajax mode, if you have a validation error on a particular tab, the tab will have a little icon indicating a validation error. This icon does not appear in ajax mode because (from my understanding) it is not wrapped in an appropriate bu:replace tag. Similarly for validation-errors. I have discussed this previously[1] (as have others [2]), and the issue remains unresolved [3]. I might add, that in [1] I came up with a really dodgy hack to get around this problem, but I am assuming that hack would have been univerally frowned upon (basically, I turned off ajax for submisson). I guess a less dodgy solution (hack?) is to put bu:replace tags into those divs, but I no one seems to have done this, so I am assuming it is frowned upon. I want clarification as why.

[1] http://www.nabble.com/Tabs-and-CForms-td13222772.html
[2] http://marc.info/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=117269621604981&w=2
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-1570