We have an application that is using Cocoon 2.1.5.1 (I know that's a wee bit
old)

When we run this on Tomcat 5.5.25.0 with Java 1.5.0_16 (although these
versions do not seem to make any difference) and we use the
-XX:+UseParallelGC option.

With the application IDLE, no clients have even attempted to connect.

We see on Windows a handle leak at a rate of approx 64 handles (32 Event and
32 Semaphore) every 5-6 seconds.

Oh, and it's a Heisenbug... if we attach a profiler or even JConsole the
leak stops while we're attached, only to resume when we detatch!

Now the good news is that this seems to be fixed in 2.1.12-SNAPSHOT... and
it's not present in 2.0.4

So... I searched the change-log for the 2.1 stream and I cannot see anyone
having claimed to "fix a windows handle leak", yet it is fixed!

My problem is that we need to fix the handle leak in a service pack... so I
really just want to patch the 2.1.5.1 we are using and remove the leaky
code, as to get our app working with 2.1.12 requires too many changes for a
service pack.

By the way, I think the leak is also present without the
-XX:+UserParallelGC.... but since the defauly garbage collection presumes
that this is a short lived application and therefore garbage collection can
be put off until really needed (since there's no need if you're a short
lived app)

Any thoughts?

-Stephen