Hi Matthias,

first, a big THANKS for helping me and at the same time sorry that i destroyed
your sample webapp.

No problem!

what i didn't understand so far is:
which instance decides which version of an artifact is the latest? why does
maven try to download e.g. cocoon-core:2.2.1 when it's not available/released?

If you look for the pom.xml file in the [Cocoon trunk folder]/parent folder you will see the dependency for cocoon-core listed as follows: -

     <dependency>
       <groupId>org.apache.cocoon</groupId>
       <artifactId>cocoon-core</artifactId>
       <version>2.2.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
     </dependency>

As all the other blocks refer to this parent pom file that's where the version number is set. The Cocoon developers could have put the version number in each block's local pom.xml file but in a large project like Cocoon it makes more sense to set the version number in one place only.

Maven should only try to download an artifact from a remote repository if it can't find it in your machine's local repository. The reason for the 'mvn install -P allblocks' command is to ensure that all the Cocoon block artifacts get built and then intalled in your local repository. If you are running on windows this is usually located in C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\.m2\repository\

If you see maven trying to download a cocoon artifact (as opposed to a plugin) from a remote repository it suggests something is wrong. I didn't see that when I built it from scratch though.

Regards,
David Legg