Dear Wendell,

Not sure if it takes you a step further but this is what my log4j.properties
file looks like:

log4j.logger.org.apache.commons.httpclient=ERROR,B
log4j.category.org.springframework=DEBUG,A
log4j.category.org.hibernate=DEBUG,A
log4j.category.org.apache.velocity=DEBUG,A
log4j.category.net.sf.ehcache=ERROR,A
log4j.category.org.apache.commons=DEBUG,A

log4j.appender.A=org.apache.log4j.FileAppender
log4j.appender.A.File=security.log
log4j.appender.A.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.A.layout.ConversionPattern=%5p [%c] %m%n

log4j.appender.B=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
log4j.appender.B.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.B.layout.ConversionPattern=%5p [%c] %m%n

=========

The messages you receive for the missing appenders can be fixed by adding a
log4j.category for you org.apache.commons log messages and setting the
loglevel for that category.

Hope it can help.

Bart