You get very similar functionality for date/time in flowscript;
also it seems that XSLT 2.0 can do this via fn:current-dateTime()
http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-functions/#func-current-dateTime
(Disclaimer:  I have not used 2.0 - but others in this thread have;
maybe they can respond here?)

>>> On 2009/05/01 at 07:49, in message
>>> <49fa8d67.8090...@lampsacos.demon.co.uk>, Ken Starks
>>> <k...@lampsacos.demon.co.uk> wrote:
oddly enough, the first example of embedded XSP in the Moczar and Aston
book is to find the time
with a tiny bit of embedded java.

<xsp:logic>
Date now = new Date();
</xsp:logic>.

By the way, today's date is <xsp:expr>now,/xsp;exp>

Ken

Derek Hohls wrote:
> Out of interest... which part of Cocoon lacks "date/time awareness" -
> the sitemap?  Can't a (custom-written) java module execute/call an
> external program?  Also not sure about "directory listing" - does the
> Directory Generator not serve in that role?

> Stephen Winnall wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> I've been using Cocoon almost since the start, and although there are
> bits I haven't grokked yet, I find it one of the most productive tools
> around. There are aspects of its design I disagree with (the removal of
> DTD-detected pipelines from v1.*, the lack of interface to the system
> like directory listing or date/time awareness, and the inability to
> execute an external program even when the program generates XML, unless
> you fake it via a web script), but it's flexible enough to work around
> most of these.
>
> Reports of XSLT's demise are much exaggerated :-)
>
> ///Peter

This message is subject to the CSIR's copyright terms and conditions, e-mail
legal notice, and implemented Open Document Format (ODF) standard.
http://www.csir.co.za/disclaimer.html.

and is believed to be clean.  MailScanner thanks Transtec Computers for their
support.