Thanks for both your suggestions; Andreas' idea was what I was looking for - a way to create a pipeline in Cocoon that takes a SOAP request as an input XML document, and performs various transformations so as to turn that into as SOAP response XML document. Yes, I can see now how it could be done - but on second thoughts, I'm not sure that its a sensible way to do it. This approach doesnt use the Axis Block, so I would have to re-implement much of the functionality that Axis provides.

Andreas, I'm interested to know how you see the relative pros/cons of your approach compared with using Axis?

regards
David