Thanks Huib,
   I'm afraid my document is very interconnected.  I'm coming to realize that
xslt has pretty much a hard limit on the size of files you can process with it,
i.e. if it can't fit into memory and you need the full power of xslt you're
pretty much out of luck.  What about going to a 64 bit machine and just
allocating a huge amount of ram to Tomcat?  Can this been done with
tomcat/cocoon?