Well, that seems indeed like a rather complex way to achieve a simple thing.

How about this:
- 2.1 still has a horse called "xsp", which is a scripting language ensuring nicely balanced tags. Like an "xml-ized" jsp. an xsp page has direct access to request data, and you have access to pages. I can send you an example.
- in 3 there is no xsp anymore (it got accused of witchcraft or so ;-) ).

Cheers,
Jos