As so often happens, asking for help generated some further thoughts and I was able to get things working better.

Although I had added a COB-INF/sitemap.xmap to src in my block (e-17-pub/src/main/resources/COB-INF/sitemap.xmap), I noticed that the target (e-17-pub/target/classes) did not have COB-INF/sitemap.xmap.

I quit jetty, and ran "mvn jetty:run" again -- and now the test sitemap works.

So apparently the problem was that my changes in the src tree were unnoticed.

The next question is, what is the best-practice way to develop? I don't think the intention is that every time I make a change, I'm supposed to stop and restart jetty in order to see my changes.

Maybe I misunderstood this paragraph from Francesco:

Coming to you question above: when developing, you only need your block - i.e. "mysite". Since cocoon blocks feature the reloading plugin, just launch your block with "mvn jetty:run" and start playing with mysite/src/main/resources/COB-INF/sitemap.xmap. All your changes will be immediately available.

Does this mean immediately after I restart jetty? Or immediately after I make changes? If the latter, what am I doing wrong, that I don't see this happening?

Thanks again!

Lars