On 04/18/2012 09:36 PM, Mika M Lehtonen wrote:
Ouh,
I didn't realize what kind of the avalanche of arguments I would start. Maybe this tells that there is something bubbling under.
I don't want to hurt anyones feelings. I don't want bad blood.

No, no bad blood at all.

I think there are so many different level persons involved in this, that it will cause some misunderstandings from time time to time. I like Cocoon, I like C2.1, I like C2.2, I like C3 and probably I will like C4. I believe I understand those who are Cocoon developers or somehow else near it. But maybe you who are inside don't understand dudes like me. Robby wrote in his "final statement" that "Just like we all use Java.." I do not use Java. When I first get to know Cocoon, I hadn't have written a single line of Java. Nowadays I have written maybe 50 or 100 lines. Other languages yes, but not Java.

I liked Cocoon 2.1 because I could do neat things without knowing a single decent programming language. After then, I have written quite a lot with C#, but not with Java. Still I like Cocoon.

Believe me I know exactly what you mean. I started like you: http://markmail.org/message/uw2garygytcbyifq the first years I was using cocoon but only xsl and wiring some components. I never touched java at all those days. However that is still possible with c3. We have an intern ATM that is doing exactly that, using c3 to do some xsl and fo transformation.

I do think that C3 is a clever thing to do. I do. I am hoping that I will get into it some day. But because I do this for living, I can't jump to it right away. C2.1 is the most familiar. Have to start with it. Then maybe C2.2 and finally C3. Or just forget the whole thing. The latter is the way I chose a couple of years ago. But I may have changed my decision.

I would recommend to skip c2.2 and try c3. I had the chance to play with it in a smaller project before I chosen it for the upcoming bigger deployment. Having this all said I understand that people stick with c2.1 and not migrating their development to c3 and that is perfectly fine. we love all versions of cocoon here. ;)

BTW since c3 is very clean written (mostly) it is a good place to understand as well java. ;)

salu2

--
Thorsten Scherler<scherler.at.gmail.com>
codeBusters S.L. - web based systems

http://www.codebusters.es/