Thanks much Robby...Will try the javax.servlet.getRealPath()

Yes, it is inside the exploded war folder...previously it was in a configurable location but it turned out to be too much of a hassle--so they decided to make it "invisible."

Paul

On 9/14/2012 11:41 AM, Robby Pelssers wrote:
But reading your mail twice... Are you actually uploading files inside the
exploded war folder???

Not so nice in my opinion. Not sure if that is wise.  Or am I misinterpreting
your use case?

Why not store/ upload the files in a configurable location?

Robby

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Joseph [mailto:pjos...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2012 5:27 PM
To: users@cocoon.apache.org
Subject: web app directory

Hi there,

I am using Tomcat 7 and Cocoon 2.1.11.

Question: How do I get the directory of my application as in "C:\Program
Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 7.0\webapps\myapp"

I was using this call: System.getProperty("catalina.base")

But it only takes me as far as: "C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\Tomcat 7.0"

the reason is the client wants to run many copies of myapp, each for a
different group as in myapp1, myapp2 and so on.

Internally, in my code I needed this location to do things like upload
files etc. and I was finding my locaiton before using the
getProperty("catalina_base") and adding on to it "\myapp" which clearly
won't work any more.

best
Paul