All the cool people swear by caniuse.com [1]  ;-)

Another very new resource is the WebPlatform.org site [2] which is in alpha at the moment but is the first collaboration between all the major browser manufacturers to document the browser standards and collate bugs.

So to answer Mika's question: HTML5 is already widely supported by browsers. Or to put it another way the HTML5 doctype was designed to be usable without breaking older browsers but also prevent them going into quirks mode. Scripts like modernizr [3], also enable very old browsers (even IE6!) to partially support some of the more desirable CSS3 functions.

I don't know about you but 20% of my traffic is mobile based. Whatever forms you do generate it is looking more and more like you also need to support Responsive Web Design which adapts to the browser window size and device input capabilities. We are living in interesting times at the moment from a web perspective and for the past year people have been rushing to 'do responsive' by placing most of the logic client side and making extensive use of media queries. Some people are beginning to wake up to the fact that it might be better to do a little device detection server-side with a technique that Luke Wrobleski coined 'RESS' [4]. This is something for which I think Cocoon might be a good solution.

One final thing you may find of interest is a side project of Wicket which I tinkered with a while ago called WicketWebBeans [5]. I have no idea if it is still being developed but essentially it dynamically creates web forms by directly interrogating java beans. You can tailor the behaviour according to your needs.

Regards,
David Legg

[1] http://caniuse.com/
[2] http://www.webplatform.org/