Hi Mark,

> We use a large Cocoon 2.2 application (which we don't own and can't
> just port to v3) and at startup it complains, " deprecation - The
> 'component-configurations' section in the sitemap is
> deprecated. Please check for alternatives."

The problem is because there exists configuration elements in the sitemap.
This is how Apache Cocoon 2.1 was configured before migrating to Spring for
version 2.2.

See http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/concepts/sitemap.html

> So I'm checking for
> alternatives.  Where would I find some detailed discussion of the
> alternatives to <component-configurations/> and how to map what we
> have to them?

To migrate the configuration you can follow the documentation of Apache
Cocoon 2.2 and also check the block examples that you can see in the source
code.

See
http://cocoon.apache.org/subprojects/configuration/spring-configurator/index.html
And http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk/blocks/