I would like to allow the user to somehow specify which elements they
care about for an object, so that the output can be optimized as well as
the queries backing the service.

For instance, if a call is made to retrieve a Contact and the user
specifies "firstName,lastName", I only want the output to contain those
fields.  Secondarily, getting rid of empty elements would be nice.  This
could be via a URL for instance:

    /contact/2?fields=firstName,lastName

Does CXF provide any mechanism for doing the above?  If there is no
mechanism for performing the dynamic selection of elements, a
configuration for eliminating empty elements in output would at least
allow me to easily create a servlet filter/interceptor that got the job
done.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
David