Hi
1. Go to "http://fusesource.com";   then download and install " fuse Service
framework based in CXF"
2. Install and go to samples
3. There is a lot of examples
4. I try a lot of it, but the best i have working fine for  XML or JSON
response is "
.... \fuse-services-framework-2.1.3.1\samples\jax_rs\content_negotiation\"

Install it in Eclipse compile and run with ant, the you have a client and a
server example, put time to do it, and see   XML 500 ms  JSON 40 ms.

I normally use some interface to manage  the json data. ( AJAX approach for
WEB 2.0 )

Interface: (Response with a head and a body elements).
If u Accept  XML, can use xstream to convert it to java object on the fly,
but is more expensive in time, than JSON.
If u Accept default JSON, u have a String information, u can split with ":"
.
Then using StringTokenized u can have all the data in less time.

Remember to use String type for all data.

In the server side response head,  put the name of the bean u must use to
instance the data, and how many data beans u will receive.
This is a convention between the server and the client.  ( First part of the
response are a head info, and the other the body info ).
Also you can use the same approach from the client side, to send the server
a parameter code.
This parameter code is the type of data the server will put in the response.

I'm working with the example above if u need i can send next week.
My idea is to connect to java applications with this approach, and use for
all the WS only one type of Message Protocol:

Request:

Head -> parameters that inform:  (JSON  fixed quantity of elements )
-  the type of process the client need  (client and server know the codes)
-  the type of data a send to be processed by the server ( Value Object  -
VO)
-  how many VO the client send
-  a check sum for control ( any u like )

Body -> the data itself (JSON VO as be defined in the head parameters )

Response:

The same idea, more info off course ( error message, etc )

Head -> parameters that inform how is sending the body:

Body -> the data as is defined in the head

If u use XML  use fixed name tags:

Head ->  H_1, H_2,.... H_n

Body ->  V_1, V_2....n

regards