From: Daniel Kulp [mailto:dk...@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, August 14, 2009 2:06 PM
To: users@cxf.apache.org
Cc: Nepali, Sonam (GE Healthcare, consultant)
Subject: Re: CachedOutputStream writing to temp files for large messages

On Thu August 13 2009 6:26:06 pm Nepali, Sonam (GE Healthcare,
consultant)
wrote:
> Hello
>
> What is the difference in that CachedOutputStream.java writes the
> large messages to the file versus for smaller size messages that are
> less than
> (64 * 1024) bytes?  If I set a
> "org.apache.cxf.io.CachedOutputStream.Threshold" property to about 5
> MBs, will that potentially have any negatice impact on performance?

The two areas it impacts are:

1) By allocating larger objects and holding them in memory, it reduces
the
number of concurrent requests that can be processed.    For example, if
you
set your jvm max memory to -Mx256M or so, you obviously can have less
than 50
requests outstanding (actually much less due to overhead itself and
such).
With 64K max before going to disk, many more requests can be in flight.

2) Garbage collection - lots of small allocations are generally better
for the
garbage collector.   If the message takes a while to process, it may get
moved
from the short lived space to the middle aged space (or even the old gen

space).   Each of those would require a copy.   Large allocations tend
force the gc to run more often as well.

Neither are really a huge deal though if you know what the
characteristics of your interactions are.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dk...@apache.org