Thank you Daniel, it works as advertized.

One extra note to anybody using JBoss to do this: You will need to manually add the Jetty to JBoss' CXF integration deployer as discussed in the following topic of the JBoss forum:
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=162775

Daniel Kulp wrote:
I think in your config, you need to do something like;

<http:conduit name="{http://apache.org/hello_world_soap_http}SoapPort.http-conduit";> <http:client DecoupledEndpoint="http://localhost:9999/decoupled_endpoint"/>
    </http:conduit>

To specify the URL for the decoupled messages. You can do it via API's as well. See:
http://cxf.apache.org/docs/client-http-transport-including-ssl-support.html

Dan