To: Sergey Beryozkin
Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2010 8:10 AM
Subject: RE: how to send Nested object in RESTful webservice

Yes I've requirements like this:

public Emsnamespace add(@FormParam("") Emsnamespace namespace, @FormParam("")
Product product)

S.B : I'm not sure having multiple aggregating @FormParam("") parameters will work. It might work but I'm not really sure. The idea of having a @FormParam("") (or QueryParam(""), etc) is to have all the available name/value pairs in the request body (for FormParam) or in the URI (for QueryParam or PathParam) injected into a bean like Emsnamespace or Product which can have nested types if needed but the important thing is that as far as the request body or uri is concerned is is still name/value pairs that are expected (exception : templateVarName to corresponding captured value pairs in case of PathParam("")).

Problem 1
Now the problem is the WADL generated have two namespaceName param from both the POJOs resulting in injection error. This type of issues are also causing cyclic dependency error in some of the web methods.

S.B : When you say an injection error occurs, what do you mean ? Do you have SOAP UI invoking ? What exactly is happening ? Can you capture what is being posted on the wire ?

S.B : Note, given the above, having multiple @FormParam("") will probably work after all provided you are actually doing a *form submission*, that is you have a request body containing a sequence of name/value pairs. The fact that the WADL fragment shows few duplicates in this case should not make a difference, Emsnamespace should get its setters invoked and Product have its setters invoked. You'd probably be better off trying to have a single complex FormParam("") parameter which will accumulate all the form data and then internally populate Emsnamespace and Product.

I want to suppress the namespaceName in Product by using property like
@IgnoreProperty(Worked for WSDL).

S.B : In WADL it is either JAXBContext which can be used to generate a schema or starting from 2.2.7-SNAPSHOT, one can point to the existing schemas which can be inlined or linked to. I'm not planning to do some manual schema generation so that cretain properties get excluded in the schema.

By the way, the types which you use are not qualified so the generated schema is a bit broken. Aegis will create a custom namespace but it is not that WADLGenerator will do...I think I might try extending WADLGenerator to ask ProviderFactory for a provider capable of handling XML and then delegate to them to generate the schema...So then AegisProvider can get extended a bit and have the schema generated...

Also, as far as WADL and FormParam("") is concerned, it might make sense to
have certain properties excluded.

Problem 2
I also have requirement to set collection of child elements in a request. For e.g. see the Collection of product inside namespace. WADL says products has to be sent as a query parameter. I don’t know how to send this nested collection as a query parameter in case of REST.

S.B. FormParams get translated to parameters of type 'query'. Do you really
need @FormParams after all ?

Thanks
Abhishek

WADL Snippet:

          <xs:complexType name="emsnamespace">
  <xs:sequence>
 <xs:element name="deployed" type="xs:boolean" />
 <xs:element maxOccurs="unbounded" minOccurs="0" name="featureSets" nillable="true"
type="featureSet" />
 <xs:element maxOccurs="unbounded" minOccurs="0" name="features" nillable="true"
type="feature" />
 <xs:element minOccurs="0" name="namespaceDescription" type="xs:string" />
 <xs:element name="namespaceId" type="xs:int" />
 <xs:element minOccurs="0" name="namespaceName" type="xs:string" />
 <xs:element maxOccurs="unbounded" minOccurs="0" name="products" nillable="true"
type="product" />
 <xs:element maxOccurs="unbounded" minOccurs="0" name="suites" nillable="true"
type="suite" />
 </xs:sequence>
 </xs:complexType>

- <resource path="/add2">
- <method name="POST">
- <request>
- <representation mediaType="application/json">
 <param name="namespacename" style="query" type="xs:string" />
 <param name="features" style="query" />
 <param name="namespaceid" style="query" type="xs:int" />
 <param name="featuresets" style="query" />
 <param name="products" style="query" />
 <param name="suites" style="query" />
 <param name="namespacedescription" style="query" type="xs:string" />
 <param name="version" style="query" type="xs:string" />
 <param name="emsnamespace" style="query" />
 <param name="namespacename" style="query" type="xs:string" />
 <param name="features" style="query" />
 <param name="productid" style="query" type="xs:int" />
 <param name="featuresets" style="query" />
 <param name="productdescription" style="query" type="xs:string" />
 <param name="suites" style="query" />
 <param name="productname" style="query" type="xs:string" />
 <param name="lifecyclestage" style="query" type="xs:string" />
 <param name="entitlementitems" style="query" />
 <param name="entitlementlicensemodel" style="query" />
 </representation>
 </request>
- <response>
 <representation mediaType="application/json" />
 <representation mediaType="application/xml" />
 </response>
 </method>
 </resource>

WSDL SNIPPET:

-                 <xsd:complexType name="Emsnamespace">
 <xsd:sequence>
 <xsd:element minOccurs="0" name="namespaceDescription" nillable="true"
type="xsd:string" />
 <xsd:element minOccurs="0" name="namespaceId" type="xsd:int" />
 <xsd:element minOccurs="0" name="namespaceName" nillable="true" type="xsd:string"
/>
 </xsd:sequence>