Ooops, sent too soon. Continued at the bottom.

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 7:15 AM, Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alan,
>
> What exactly do you mean be 'binding'? In CXF, that means the mapping
> of data type parameters to and from XML, as opposed to 'front end',
> which deals with message structure. It's not obvious to me what you
> are counting four of.
>
> Our usual advice to people who need to talk to 'some weird
> nonconforming thing' is to use the provider interface, not a WSDL at
> all. Just use CXF to push the XML in and out.
>
> For a WSDL to be a viable approach, I think that the binding has to
> have the character that it can be expressed in W3C XML Schema. If you
> can't describe the parameters in XML Schema, i

you would need to deal in WSDL extensions.

Generally, though, the cost-benefit works like this: if you are
rigging up communications with a unique legacy service, building a
data binding or front-end would be an inefficient process. The value
of building one of these components is reusability; if you need to
talk to 27 different variations.

Finally, I'd note that a lot of messages on this list discuss ways to
tweak CXF so that the standard components can talk to nonstandard
endpoints. Fiddling with namespaces is by far the most frequent, but
many other things are possible. At the front-end level, you can grab
control of many decisions by writing a class and pushing it into a
property, for example.