Someone else has answered your Axis question, but for another example of interoperability my DoubleIt tutorial creates both Metro and CXF clients and service providers, of which a client of one framework can successfully call the service of another: http://www.jroller.com/gmazza/entry/web_service_tutorial.

Glen